a musing: derivations of a non-conformist idealist

a musing: derivations of a non-conformist idealist

Friday, November 28, 2008

here going lost: track 2

I wrote Learn To Let You Go in 2005. It's about person 1 getting it on with person 2. They shouldn't be getting it on at all but they do. They sort of fall in love with each other though they know it'll never last. Maybe in some other lifetime they were meant to be together. Just not this lifetime. So person 1 tries desperately and painfully to let go...

This song along with tracks 3 and 4 are the newest songs to be arranged and recorded for this compilation. Also, this particular song is the first song arranged for me by my new arranger Sam Valdecantos. Jondi had become too busy to do arrangement work so he passed Sam's name along to me. And I like the output so far. I'm excited to get the final arrangement for Missin' Missin' You.

Originally, this song was a solo. But none of the male singers I approached liked this song enough to volunteer to sing it - and I think it was too high - so I had May Rivera try to learn it and there were some parts that she was having trouble singing too because it was high for her so for those parts I tried singing myself. Then May and I agreed on which parts she will sing and which parts I will take, and we played around on how to sing and blend at the parts when we both sang and it all turned out good. In the studio, I sang my parts first then May did hers and when we mixed it... well, get a copy and find out and tell us what you think about how we did.

Charity-cd update: Spoke to CRIBS Foundation's Executive Director Marie Labajo and we finalized some stuff about the project. She was pretty pleased about it and even said our target amount is pretty big for an individual donation. Also spoke to the Accenture manager handling the group that I had originally agreed to ride this initiative with. We both came into our discussion with a lack of information of what each other's expectations were so... She was trying to convince me to delay the promotions to January and the release to February so that it'll coincide with one of their other initiatives. I was trying to tell her that I could only limit the release in Accenture and our PeopleSoft group. We concluded we should just meet again on Tuesday to iron out details about our "compromise". While driving home, I thought I should still just go ahead with my personal albeit limited release and not worry too much about getting donations from PeopleSoft/Accenture resources because if they like to include even one new singer or song in the February version, then it's a different version people can get their hands on. Although I understand that pushing for the promotions and release of Here Going Lost now during the holidays and with the big fund-raising Accenture has for its custodians in full swing might make our little initiative disappear into the background, I don't think it will adversely affect or be adversely affected. So that's where we are with the Accenture connection - a misunderstanding. On Tuesday, maybe I'll ask them to give me a step-by-step rundown of what they think will happen if we release now or if we release on February.

In the meantime, here's Learn To Let You Go.

Do you see me? My heart’s breaking
(And) you can’t know how much the pain’s inside
It’s never easy unlearning love
Letting go what’s hard to even hide

Needing you, wanting you
Questioning each word or smile that felt was true

Why do you like me? Did you really?
Why do you stay when you can’t stay for long?
How long will you be here and not be mine?
How long can I bear and not go out of my mind?

Seeing you, touching you
Knowing it could be the last time I do

Teach me how to let you go
Teach my heart to fin’lly know
We just can’t be together
For us there’s no forever
And hoping does no better so
Heart learn to let you go

Simple for you to not remember
Not feel the way you said you did before
Few stars to witness tight embraces
Few memories I won’t keep no more

Missing me, loving me
I’m stumbling with each step I take forgetting

Teach me how to let you go
Teach my heart to fin’lly know
We just can’t be together (We can’t be together)
For us there’s no forever (Forever)
And hoping does no better so (No, no)
Heart learn to let you…

Needing… wanting…
To tell myself we’re through
Mind it… shout it…
I will myself to…
Let you go

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home