a musing: derivations of a non-conformist idealist

a musing: derivations of a non-conformist idealist

Monday, November 17, 2008

here going lost: history

Love writing! Between high school and college, wrote concepts for musical plays. In college, a high school batch-mate and I collaborated on what was supposed to be a sung-through musical. We only got to finish the first of two acts of Esther (based on the Bible's Book of Esther). From that first act, Noel Miranda has his inspirational song, Free, while I have the love duet Never Knew The Feeling (appears on 2004's Ready To). So every year from 2001 until 2004 and again this year, I collect at least three of my compositions, have them arranged, find singers, and record the songs, package them in a cd and give them away as my personalized Christmas present. Only this year, I'm selling the cd for charity. And as of this writing, I've decided on C.R.I.B.S. Foundation as the beneficiary.

2001 - Let Love

love of my life (1998)
let me (1999)
scared-y cat (2001)

That is not me on the cover. I just got a nice-looking image from the net and cropped it a bit. And there you have it. Friends from grade school recorded with me- Jorge Tapalla and Bryan Sy. Also recorded Scared-y Cat with Tim Manlallang.

2002 - No Goodbyes

no goodbyes (2001)
no ordinary joe (2000)
i wish i never learned to love (1999)

Took my passport photo and slapped it on the cover. I thought the clash between the title and the cover was amusing. Recruited a handful of friends from everywhere to render my songs- Gracci Juan, Jorge Tapalla, Bryan Sy, Jay Patrick Santiago, and Michael Vaflor.

2003 - Pluck Me

one thing (2001)
life lessons (1996)
all i want (1997)

Jumping on the acoustic bandwagon, I selected songs and had them arranged with just a guitar accompaniment.

2004 - Ready To

ready to love (2003)
lead me on (2004)
never knew the feeling (1992)

And this was the last cd before this year's HGL. In 2005, I got into indie film-making. I used some of the instrumentals of my songs in the 39-minute short, "69". In 2006, I directed the feature, "Mean Well". I didn't use any of my music here. I was supposed to do another feature last year and it being a musical movie too, I was going to use my songs. But I got busy with work and I couldn't finish the script so it got pushed back. And now I still haven't finished the script so I'll just try to complete it next year. In the meantime...

2008 - Here Going Lost

learn to let you go (2005)
missin' missin' you (2005)
more than i let you know (2008)

Both the 2005 songs I wrote while I was in Boston. The last song I wrote last June as a 1st anniversary present. I'll post more information or insights on this cd's songs in the next few entries...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home