a musing: derivations of a non-conformist idealist

a musing: derivations of a non-conformist idealist

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Different adventures

First off, an adventure with a septagenarian (sc). The film as a whole sure looked the part of an 80's franchise. Maybe the film stock they used was 20 years old too? Indiana now discovers he has a son- that Shia guy from Transformers- and saves everyone's asses from a weird Russian lady who has this alien fetish.A couple scenes were reminiscent of National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets but hey, this is Indiana Jones and the other one's with Ghost Rider. The movie was fun enough to get my rating of 3 out of 5 stars but only justified why I was not a fan of the series. Good but not great. Makes you go 'oh' but not 'ooh'.
Now onto what I've read could be Dreamworks Animation's best Animated feature. And it was actually very good. Fast paced story, storytelling, amusing enough. Oddly, some scenes that weren't really funny (to me), kids were screeching at. It lacked, well, a little more umph. I particularly liked the turtle especially when he's cooly scolding {Shi-fu}. I didn't like how the turtle vanished into peach blossoms as he died. Or dissipated.
The dragon scroll on another note kindof kills a lot of philosophies, in business or otherwise, that hinges on there being a special or secret ingredient or maybe x factor to one's becoming an "ultimate" of some sort. There is no secret- that's what the blank scroll means. Although you could see your reflection on the scroll, meaning the non-secret is actually just you.
Or it's inside you. So just believe in yourself. So it really doesn't stick. Cute furry characters. Would probably need a sequel to flesh out the ferocious five... Was it fiercesome (sc)?
I was rooting for the Tigress. The villain as a cub was pretty cute too. And when I saw from the credits that Lucy Liu voiced the serpent, I rooted for her too. 3.5 stars out of 5.
And then I still had some time to kill so I saw this independent movie where two from my previous productions were also part of.
Weird enough story to be interesting. But this wasn't a comedy was it? So... Ok, so lighting was uneven, sometimes dark, sometimes obviously put up. Makeup of supports were better than the leads. Well, I'd rather the more natural look. Abrupt music was abruptly played throughout, I thought. And (in a british intonation) what the hell was up with casting that thin, call-center-twang-speaking chick? Oh and some of the laughing and crying were theatrical. So, hmm, since I have to give out some stars... I'll give it 2 just because the story was weird enough to be interesting and/or original enough. But please, as far as twists go, the lead couldn't even look lesbian.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home